Monday, February 09, 2009

Continued being a virtuous little wifie by cleaning the Corian countertops in the kitchen, vacuuming here and there, and generally sprucing the place up. Took an hour to go to Acme on a glorious spring-like day. Talked to Ellen on the web cam. Was pleased to hear nephew Steve from Pasadena will come for Pat's birthday party (family only this time) on Saturday.
Wider: I think the evil twins, corporate America and government, have gotten together again to raise gas prices. Ours are up to $2.73 a gallon and wasn't it just a few weeks ago I paid $2.47? It was, I did, and that's 26 cents a gallon higher. Combined with the loss of jobs, soaring health care costs (if you're lucky enough to have health care), I don't know how working families can manage, not to mention older people who don't have the cushions some of us do. But, hey, Bush and Cheney and their mob are livin' high on the hog, so no worry... (And see yesterday's entry for Larry Summers' words about "entitlement" programs. The pompous jerk.)
Second rant about corporate America: I HATE COMCAST! I watch television for only about 45 minutes a day from 8 pm until I leave to read in bed. My husband, however, being home bound and unable to do much else, watches television much of the day. Very noticeably and unarguably, the volume has recently started going up by several decibels during commercials--which now, of course, sometimes total nine or ten per interval; I've actually counted that many. It is infuriating that, without viewer consent or control, the jerks have the right to turn up the sound. And I'm not talking subtlety here--the volume is ratcheted WAY up. We pay $107 a month to this lousy company to get cable and the Internet--we have Verizon for the phone--and how dare the arrogant bastards just arbitrarily decide to take over the volume on our television?
May they rot in their own electrons!

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...