Sunday, February 08, 2009

Good, productive day. I went through several of the kitchen cabinets and drawers, discarding stuff I no longer use and cleaning as I went. Did other domestic stuff. Found my potato masher and the small sharp knife I thought I had lost. Used both to pare, then mash potatoes the old-fashioned way for Pat.
Precious Vivian called and we had a great time. She showed me some school work, a stuffed animal and other toys, then insisted on getting into her bathing suit, cap, and goggles to "show Nana." She also demonstrated a Rubik cube, which she said was her brother's. "Your brother's?" I asked; to my knowledge, she only has a sister. Vivian then told me calmly that "Harry" is her " 'maginary brother." What a bright, beautiful, inventive little girl she is!
Also saw Paula (who just received a nice promotion at the design firm where she works), darling Violet, and Vicky, their former nanny, who has come back to be with them--happy day! (Long story, that, which I won't go into.)
Wider: Pat watched Pearl Harbor, which, if I'm not mistaken, was a candidate for several awards, the most notable being "Worse Movie Ever Made." For hammy, boring, over-the-top cliche-ridden crap, it can hardly be beat. Pat and I saw it years ago in the movie theatre (sigh--imagine being able to go to the movies with your husband) and believe me, it hasn't improved since. It should probably also have won in the "interminable" category--it seemed to go on all day. As I passed through the living room, I'd glance at it and, of course, I could hear it from all over the house.
It put me in mind of the era when the U.S. was at war with "the Japs." They were characterized as mean, slant-eyed little people, with their strange language, outlandish dress, and slavish devotion to the emperor. Of course, it's absolutely necessary for the populace to believe the "enemy" is sub-human, otherwise, they might rebel against murdering them. Now I have a lovely, talented, intelligent Japanese daughter-in-law and another whose mother was Japanese. In a few years, our current "enemy" (but who are they and why are they enemies?) will be rehabilitated and some other humans will be "the enemy."
I must keep referring to 1984, because Orwell was so eerily prescient. The "enemy" keeps changing and Oceania is at war with Eurasia--Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

2 comments:

Jonathan Versen said...

Hi Mimi,
Have you ever seen Tora Tora Tora? I dimly remember it from watching it on WGN or TBS a good 20 plus years ago, and remember being impressed with its more sober approach. Post-9.11 I guess everything from Hollywood dealing with war is expected to be jingoistic claptrap.

Mimi said...

Jonathan,
I don't remember seeing that when it came out. If it's more balanced, I think I'd like to. I've been to Japan, and aside from the fact that the people seemed noticably kinder and more polite than many here, they were--well, just as human as we are.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...