Monday, February 02, 2009

Better yesterday, not because of any particular change in activities, but because it was so balmy out. Must have been in the high sixties, and sunny. The weather always affects my mood; I hate dark, overcast skies and love intense sun. Goes to show how primitive my persona actually is, I guess.
Got a call from Ray and Barb, who insisted on cutting us big hunks of sub, as we won't be at their Super Bowl party. Walked down there and became melancholy remembering what fun we used to have at their gatherings. Took two big slices only to hear from Pat, "I hate subs." How could I have forgotten? Made him soup and tuna sandwich for casual, Super Bowl dinner. Sat down with him to watch the game with meatless, non-Oriental kind of stir fry with "crumbles," asparagus, tomatoes, and mushrooms--very tasty. However, before the kickoff, got Ellen's weekly call, got back to her her on the web cam, and we had a good long talk.
Coming out of my slump.
Wider: The following, by David Cay Johnston, is quoted in "A Tiny Revolution." It's mind-boggling.
"From 1950 to 1970, for example, for every additional dollar earned by the bottom 90 percent, those in the top 0.01 percent earned an additional $162, according to the Times analysis. From 1990 to 2002, for every extra dollar earned by those in the bottom 90 percent, each taxpayer at the top brought in an extra $18,000."
I can barely understand that. Being a mathmatical illiterate, I'm trying to figure out if it means the ultra-rich are EIGHTEEN THOUSAND TIMES richer than the poor. If so, how is that possible? Incredible.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...