Friday, February 27, 2009

Same old, lame old, tame old stuff yesterday. Getting SO tired of winter, although it was fairly mild and sunny yesterday. Pat's been getting up earlier, around 10:30 lately. That means I'm not free to go out except before that or after about 2:00, and then I usually don't want to. Okay, I'll quit whining.
Nephew Steve J. e-mailed me an enthralling paper entitled "The Kallikak Family: A Study in the Heredity of Feeble-Mindedness," by the director of the "Research Laboratory of the Training School at Vineland, New Jersey, for Feeble-Minded Girls and Boys." I read some of it and printed it all out to peruse at my leisure. It's funny and sad, but also very interesting. I'm of the mind that heredity is too often overlooked or discounted by non-medical people, especially when it comes to intelligence and personal characteristics. After all, if height, color of hair, and so on, are generally accepted as genetic, why not one's ability to make friends? Or write legibly? Or mumble? Or tendency to aggression? Or whatever?
In fact, Steve and his friend in L.A. have written a horror film about the family; hope it gets picked up by a movie studio or T.V. producer.
Wider: An obvious--and ominous--truth by Justin Raimondo, at Anti-War.Com, in his "The Silence of the Liberals":
"Antiwar voters who cast their ballots for Obama have succeeded in rolling the stone all the way up a rather steep hill, only to see it fall down the other side – and we are right back where we started. The next hill is called Afghanistan, and beyond that is yet another: Pakistan."
And More: Ever hear of Diego Garcia? Neither had I until I read this:
http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/5120
It's not a person, but an island--and just another comma in our great saga of imperialism.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...