Saturday, February 21, 2009

Picked up Susan for our walk and she gave me a book on food her daughter, Julie, thought I might enjoy. How very nice of her--Julie is a self-employed caterer in Connecticut, although business, like so many in the lousy economy, is very slow. Will e-mail her my thanks.
Right after I got back, P. and N. cam-called, finally back at their place. I'm glad they'll have time to sleep and rest after their long journey.
The podiatrist, Dr. Z., came yesterday and did a nice job on Pat's feet. Seems a nice fellow and will visit again in two weeks.
Mike and his precious little girls cam-called in the evening and we had a nice chat and look-see. (Somehow, that semi-literate expression, "look-see," reminds me of a fast-talking guy in the forties.)
Wider: Read it and weep department; an article in the NYTimes this morning informs us:
"WASHINGTON — With two missile strikes over the past week, the Obama administration has expanded the covert war run by the Central Intelligence Agency inside Pakistan, attacking a militant network seeking to topple the Pakistani government....Members of Pakistani tribes offered funeral prayers on Feb. 15 for victims of an American missile attack in the North Waziristan region, near the Afghan border."
What, what!?! How can this be justified? Oh, I forgot: It doesn't have to be, because Americans do the work of God almighty, in fact, ARE gods themselves and we don't need the other one telling us to love our neighbors, suffer the little children, and all that old stuff.
Later: Went to WW. Am up eight tenths of a pound, but that's okay. I remain at 128, having lost an even 70 pounds altogether. Would still like to be back down to 125, but 3 over isn't bad.

4 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

And the antiwar movement, such as it was under Bush, has of course completely disappeared. The other night, I surfed briefly past MSNBC and caught a few seconds of Olbermann's fatuous face going on and on about "the stim," and the wave of nausea was intense. Could've been worse, though -- much worse. I could've been trying to live in Pakistan, or Afghanistan, or Iran, or Iraq, or Gaza, or Lebanon, or ...

Mimi said...

I used to look forward to Keith (I felt I knew him so well I could call him by his first name), but I no longer watch him at all. He was great as a thorn in Bush's side--I thought--but I'm afraid will excuse O. for anything. Yes, where, oh where, has the anti-war movement gone? To the mall, I guess.

Anonymous said...


Yes, where, oh where, has the anti-war movement gone?


I'm open to suggestions. What do we do?

Mimi said...

Gather our forces and start organizing and demonstrating again, but most important, BE APOLITICAL! If doesn't matter to murdered children whether their killers are republicans or democrats.
But...all this is easier said than you-know-what, of course.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...