Friday, March 27, 2009

Slow-pokey as ever yesterday. Went to Acme--whee!--and the library. Picked up a book of short stories I had requested and read a remarkable one called A Song For Lya. I had read about this on some blog or other and was entranced by it. It's science-fiction, a genre I used to enjoy, but haven't read for years. This was published in 1973 by George R.R. Martin. Must look him up.
Wider: Here's a heartening piece from Z Magazine, an on-line mag I've just discovered:
"The following item was sent from Istanbul. The maker of the shoes that an Iraqi journalist hurled at President George W. Bush has had to take on 100 extra staff to cope with a surge in demand for his footwear. 'Between the day of the incident and 1:00 PM today, we have received orders totaling 370,000 pairs,' Istanbul-based Serkan Turk, head of sales at Baydan Shoes, told AFP...Turk said orders had initially flooded in from Iraq, followed by other Middle East countries, and finally from the rest of the world, including orders for 19,000 pairs from the United States."
YAY!!

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...