Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Still lots of not too much going on. Went to the post office, store, and stuff. Put the two wire Easter bunnies out. Pat asked me to make what we used to sometimes have for a casual dinner (as opposed to our usual ball gown/black tie affairs): baked beans on bread, topped with bacon, then broiled. Sound gross? Actually, it's not bad and Pat ate every morsel. I had lentil stew myself.
Wider: I guess I'm hopelessly naive. I saw GE's annual report, with a voting sheet for the board of directors. I was amused by the name of one nominee: Ann Fudge. Then I noticed another: Sam Nunn. Wait, wasn't he the...? Yep, the senator from Georgia and deeply, deeply involved in the congressional committees that drive the war machine. It hit me, all of a sudden, that this is what's meant by the unholy alliance between industry and government.
I don't see how ordinary people--let alone pacifists--can ever make the slightest impact on slowing, let alone stopping, the U.S. habit of slaughtering humans when we have elected officials--and I'm sure they're regularly labelled "distinguished" and "eminent"--who are crossovers to the military/industrial complex.
If that's a run-on sentence, I don't care.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...