Monday, March 30, 2009

Continued my respite weekend by just doing what I wanted. After a leisurely breakfast (my usual; I'm back in the routine), I impulsively went to Rider, my place of employment for 27 years, as well as my alma mater. Drove around campus, but didn't get out of the car. I was astounded to see new residence halls going up--they look like high end townhouses, which I guess is what you need to attract students--and what with the other new buildings added since I retired, the place is very impressive.
I then drove back to our old house on Lower Ferry. Passed the kids' school and other former haunts. Went to the cemetery at Ewing Presbyterian where my dear friend of so many years, Elaine, is buried.
Okay, that was enough. I headed back. Stopped at B.J.'s at the huge "Hamilton Commons" to pick up a few items and made a few other stops.
Later, I alternated reading in A.'s quiet, peaceful house and driving around her neighborhood. Sounds boring, but it wasn't--it was exactly what I needed.
Packed up and went home. Got in about 5:30 to find everything under control (I never doubted that, as A. and M. were there). Was pleased to hear dear niece, Joan, had called. A. and M. stayed for another half hour or so, then we said goodbye. Talked to darling Ellen in the evening, had my good ol' wine and popcorn, and slept like a log.
The big news, though, is that buds are popping out all over and my new pansies are thriving. That yearly miracle alone is enough to raise my spirits and, combined with my fabulous respite weekend, makes me a new woman.
I'm back and life is good.
Wider: Lest anyone thinks I've mellowed (hell, no!) here's a snippet from John Caruso, in "The Distant Ocean":

The most frightening, or maybe informative, headline I saw last week: "Bank Execs Pleased With Tone Of Meeting With Obama."
This would be something like "Mafia Bosses Pleased With Tone Of Meeting With District Attorney" or "Vampires Pleased With Tone Of Meeting With Van Helsing." Except in those cases it would be a surprise.

As ever, right on,John.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...