Monday, March 16, 2009

The opera, "Rigoletto," was just superb. The sets and costumes were so beautiful and sumptuous, they made it worth seeing even if Pavarotti hadn't sung the lead. Of course, if it had been a straight play, the plot would have made it laughable. As most operas seem to be, it was full of contrived situations, mistaken identities, and over-blown reactions to the treachery and tragedy that bring down the victims. It was great.
I'm amazed at myself for liking opera so much, considering I hardly knew it existed before a year or so ago. A group of us are discussing going to a Simucast(?) of an opera next year--hope I can go.
From the ridiculous to the sublime--or rather, vice versa. The other day, Pat stumbled on the T.V. show, "Toddlers And Tiaras," and I watched for a time. The program consists of following little girls (in this case, from age 2 to 6 or so) and their mothers as the children prepare for, and compete in, "beauty pageants." They all seemed to live in the southern states, so it may be a regional thing.
The time and effort--not to mention money--it takes to participate in these contests is formidable. Preparation includes buying expensive costumes, finding the right makeup, choosing the "talent" presentation, and--sometimes--bringing into line reluctant contestants. There are even "coaches" who drill the kids on songs, gestures, and demeanor, a remarkable profession I had never heard of before. The mothers, some of whom had been beauty pageant contestants themselves, seemed very determined to compete and win; some of the little girls less so.
Of course, it's easy to sneer at this idiocy. I admit I was shocked at seeing little children with full makeup, fake hair, and false eyelashes doing their best to imitate fecund women by provocative song and dance. I wonder if their mothers ever think of the pedophiles who must surely look forward to the show.
I found it mostly sad, though. How dreadful that these little girls will soon be convinced that their worth to others lies mainly in their physical attributes and ability to charm.
Then there's this: Viewers were informed that the military Daddy of one of the contestants was due to leave for Afghanistan shortly. He will stand by until called upon to help murder other little girls. Of course, this simple fact would never, in a million years, enter the consciousness of any of the adults or children on the show or, for that matter, more than a small fraction of those watching the show.
It's just as well, I guess; When truth cries out, it drowns all the pretty music and makes everybody uncomfortable. So it must be impressed on the kiddies that beauty pageants are important and great fun and Mommy might not love them if they don't do their best.
I guess they wouldn't like "Rigoletto," either.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

I know what you mean about opera: a few years ago, it was completely off my radar as well. Then my sister who lives in San Antonio began singing with the opera company there, and I had to go and see La Boheme just to do my brotherly support thing, and I really, really liked it. As you say, the story's laughably unbelievable, and I wish they wouldn't display the English translation above the stage while the performance is going on ... but those people can really, really sing. It's great!

And now to confess my secret shame: I like ballet, too. Does this mean no one will ever sell me a beer again? I hope it doesn't.

Mimi said...

Jim, your last lines are priceless! Glad you like opera AND ballet and, for that matter, beer. I like all three myself, although I've never seen an actual ballet "in person," so to speak. Your sister sings opera? How wonderful for your family!

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...