Sunday, November 19, 2006

Enjoyed the Historical Society's "early times" gathering yesterday. As it turned out, I drove because Susan couldn't go--had to show houses. I took Barb H. and Leslie and we had a wonderful time. Two speakers talked about the lives of the Indians (oh, okay, "native Americans") who lived around here. I was interested to hear they actually "vacationed" here, leaving their year 'round homes in Burlington County to go to Tuckerton in the summer. However, unlike the softies of today, they didn't drive here to move into sumptuous homes, they walked.
Also learned that Little Egg Harbor, where we live, used to be called "Downshore." The food was superb and besides various veggies, included oyster pie and venison stew among many other items that were/could have been served many years ago. That includes my corn pudding--which turned out to be more like cornbread, but was very good and of course, I transported PERFECTLY in my new casserole carrier.
Before we went, I rolled out my crusts and made the apple completely; froze that, plus the crust for the pumpkin. Got a call from Alison to say she'd see J., J., and J. today, but doubted they'd come for Thanksgiving--I didn't think they would, either--and suggested we celebrate her birthday at her house on Sunday. That's really a better idea. She'll be down about 2:30 on T'giving because the assisted living facility where her MIL, Mavis, lives is having a Thanksgiving "dinner" at lunchtime on the day of--stupid idea--but she, Mike, and his brothers want to share it with her. That's okay, although they're doing the same thing on Christmas. Well, we'll just have to wait until they get here until we open presents then.
Must make my cranberry sauce and a few other things, but preparations are coming along well.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...