Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Busy and enjoyable day yesterday: I went to the podiatrist in the morning and she fixed my feet. I won't reveal the blah details (it involved scraping off corns), but boy, do da stompers feel good. Immediately drove over to Ocean City to friend Pat's kitchen design place (well, it isn't hers, but she's worked there for 27 years), stopping on the way to exchange the sweat pants I bought for Pat at Boscov's. She gave me the sketch, I met her daughter who's worked there for 20 years, then I took her to lunch. Pat hasn't changed one iota since first grade at St, James--and we went all the way through high school together. She's still one of the most sweet-natured, self-effacing, and kindest person I've ever met--and she's had more than her share of life's setbacks.
On the way home, I went through Ventnor and saw that Mom's old house is being renovated--it looks great in yellow. Impulsively stopped at a place that sells people's stuff on eBay. Would love to put up most of my Christmas crap--I have boxes and boxes full--but wonder if I can get it done in time. Dunno.
After a leftover beef tips dinner, we went to Dennis and Leslie's. They served dessert and coffee and showed a CD on Bay St. Louis, MS, where they both recently went for a week to help rebuild that Katrina-smashed town. Only Ray and Barb H., Frank and Barb D., the host and hostess, and we were there. I think of those four couples as our "inner circle." Our houses are all in a row, one after the other on the "even" side of Sweetwater, and although all of us see other neighbors often, there seems to me a special bond among us. It was a wonderful evening with jokes and light-hearted chatter, but also thoughtful discussions on world events. It's good to know that, although we have varying ideas and beliefs about other things, we agree about the horrors of the present administration. This was confirmed in our minds by what Leslie and Dennis told us of FEMA's criminal ineptitude in the handling of Katrina "relief." Anyway, it was a great evening and overall good day.
Today, we see Pat's new pulmonologist; we don't expect anything new about his condition or treatment.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...