Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Just returned from my morning walk with Susan. Before 8 am, it's already hot and humid--my kind of weather!
We had a nice day yesterday. Pat decided he wanted to drive down to the bay and I went with him. He hasn't driven (this was in his car) for months, so this was a milestone. He went to the bay at the end of Green Street where he used to fish, then several miles down Great Bay Boulevard. We saw lots of people out fishing and crabbing, as well as herons, red-tailed blackbirds (or is is black-tailed redbirds?), and other wildlife. I was so pleased he was able to do this and hope he'll soon venture out again. Mind you, he isn't able to get out of the car--we didn't take the walker--but I know it gave him a lift to leave the house.
Just generally, I think television is boring except, maybe, for a few shows. Last night, though, I stumbled on "The Wizard of Oz," which I love, and watched most of it. What a great movie! The whole premise, childlike though it is, is entrancing and the songs, dialogue, and sets are all magical and dreamy. Aren't the monkey-warriors horrifying? I've heard others say this, too, and that they were scared to death of them as children. Why, in particular, would they be the most frightening thing in the movie? Maybe because they seem to be a strange hybrid of human and animal and, deep down, we know that's unnatural and dreadful? Dunno.
I wonder how many people besides me have ever read the L. Frank Baum book from which the movie is adapted. The general outline is the same, but it's very different from the movie and is disconcerting to read for that reason. "The Wizard of Oz" is actually part of a series of fantasy books by Baum, none of them very memorable. Baum is buried in one of the famous cemeteries in L.A. which we visited a few years ago; I took a picture of his monument.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...