Monday, December 21, 2020

Eighty-Four

 Fooled around on the laptop, then started looking over the mounds of both paperwork and family memorabilia that needs to be filed. I'll get to it one of these days. 

I finally did something I've been meaning to and it actually worked: I videoed myself on YouTube reciting a poem of mine. Played it back and can see where I can improve. That was fun and I assume I can send it to others.  

Went over to Von's for bread and romaine, then saw some "fab five" bargains. I didn't have my cart, so I took the b. and r. home, then went back for Ritz, Planters, and Lean Cuisine--FAB FIVE! 

I sometimes wonder myself what this saving money thing is all about. I'm not rolling in dough, but I'm perfectly comfortable financially and my life style will not change if I save a dollar ten on peanuts. In fact, a dollar ten IS peanuts. Yet I'd rather starve than pay full price for something if I can get it for less. Must be the frugal way I was brought up, plus this "I win!" feeling if I get a bargain. Dunno.

The Zoom meeting turned out okay, I guess, although mine kept freezing and I think it's less effective with that many people. There were nine "windows" all Betty's surviving children and grandchildren were in on it, although the granddaughters in Chicago said almost nothing. My niece, Francine, with my brother, Frank, was in on it; he said almost nothing, too. Betty's best friend for the last 70 or so years ago, Pat Kennedy Hayes, was, too, and she said hardly a word. I think if you're having some kind of meeting and there's a leader, Zoom works with that many, but not so smoothly otherwise. Anyway, it was okay and I know Betty enjoyed it. She actually called me at 8:00, once she got back from Carolyn's. She seemed more spacey than ever, I'm afraid.

I got a Facetime call from my sweet baby boy, Mike, after dinner about 6:30 my time, 10:30 his, and a day ahead, so on my actual birthday today. He talked about his new job, at Apple, where he'll start on January fifth, as "Senior Manager for Travel Operations Strategy." He got a big fat "golden parachute" severance package from Rio Tinto, too, so he's in good shape.

The downside is that I developed a lousy cold, which is still going on. It's been years since I've had a cold, and this is a real bummer because it's my birthday Actually, I think it's kind of fitting, too: It goes along with the bummer of being eighty-four years old. Nobody wants to be eighty-four, unless they're ninety-four.    



1 comment:

iloveac said...

Happy Birthday, friend. Sorry about the cold. Pamper yourself...and drink lots of so forth and so on.
I loved your last sentence on this post. I must remember it when someone says "I wish I was only 82" which I'll be in six weeks. At any rate. Happy Day.

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...