Sunday, December 06, 2020

A Call And A Cut

I was pleased to get a call in the morning from Charles Pfrommer, son of my old friend, Hazel, nee Gibson, whom I haven't seen for a good ten years. She, Betty, and I had been friends since we were 7  years old; she lived on Wyoming Avenue, the street next to Rosborough. Anyway, I had put her name in my search engine and got her son's phone number. We had a long talk and he told me Hazel has been in Wesley Manor (which Charles said costs $12,000 a month--hard to  believe) for a few years. He said there had been several cases of COVID among residents and staff and now Hazel is in quarantine and can't leave her room. Anyway, he gave me the number and I called several times through, but there was answer. Finally, I called the main number, told the receptionist, he put me through to the nurse, and she said she'd go to Hazel's room and answer the phone. (Hazel had been there all the time, but just doesn't answer.) I called, nurse answered and gave the phone to Hazel, who sounded more confused and dotty than Betty does. She said it was wonderful to hear from me, but it wasn't a good time to talk, so I said I'd call her today about noon. Jeez, what is it with all these barely-functioning contemporaries? 

In between phone calls, I walked to the market for the things I can't live without, such as romaine. That was after breakfast, then I worked on my little project, which I won't reveal, for a time. After lunch, I was going to bus to town, but just lost interest. I did walk over to Von's for beef jerky, which I barely know what is, let alone what to do with it, but unbelievably, it's for a Christmas present. 

Great Clips is next door to Von's and I impulsively went in and asked for a cut. Incredibly, because they're usually very crowded, it was during a lull and I was taken right away. I'm not thrilled about the choppy cut, but at least I don't quite as much like Gravel  Gertie.

Ellen called from Wal-Mart about 4:30, then came over with the diet soda I asked for. She stopped in for a few minutes to chat, which is always enjoyable. She also brought me a pulse-ox, so I check my oxygen  level.  I going to leave that sentence right there.

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...