Friday, December 04, 2020

COVID And Jim

I left about 9:00 to get my COVID test. Took a bus to the transit center, then walked to the hospital, a mile and a bit. I had to be in-between the cars, of course--it's a drive-up and seemed to throw them into a tizzy when I walked up. The other three times I tried to get tested, I put the swab up myself; this time, the attendant did it, after first telling me to cough and blow my nose. It took only a fraction of a second, but ouch! Something tells me I wasn't getting it up high enough when I did it  myself, so I hope fourth time's the charm.

Stopped at the nearby market after to get blueberries and veggies, then bused home. Made my sandwich for lunch and looked forward to seeing Jim. He came at our usual--1:00--and we sat down for lunch and dialogue.

Jim had been disturbed that the Internet revealed his phone number and address (plus his last three earlier addresses) when I put his name in my search engine. He said he's been so careful about revealing anything, as he didn't want his students to look him up. It was hard to explain the process, so I took him to my place to show him. I got the laptop, we sat at the kitchen table and I typing in his name. Up came all the info on a site called "Cyber Background Check" and, of course, others. I put my own name in and it included everything his did, plus the names of my children and their spouses.

Of course, there are lots of other sites that do the same--White Pages, for one. If you want to pay money, you'll also get arrest reports and other information. We discussed this for a bit and I printed out his "report" for him. He left at 4:30 and I walked him out. It's amazing to me that he seems so surprised about this. 

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...