Thursday, September 05, 2024

Wednesday And VCMC

I visited Jim in the hospital yesterday; left about 10:30 and bused to the transit center. I usually walk to Loma Vista Road, as it's only a bit more than a mile, but yesterday, I decided to take it easy. I feel fine, have no symptoms and, of course, have tested negative twice, but I thought it was prudent, just coming off from an illness. (Imagine me being prudent--hard to believe.)

I had never been at VCMC (Ventura Community Medical Center) before and found it shiny clean and, I got the impression, well run. I think it's fairly new. It did have a security set up at the entrance, almost like the airport, but unfortunately, I guess most large public buildings do now. 

I was directed to medical/surgical one, found a nurse, and was asked to don a cone mask, plastic covering, and gloves, which I did. Went into Jim's room and saw him, of course, in bed. He's in a private room with a large picture window and nice view of flowers and foliage, I guess because he has COVID. I brought him a book--a biography of Ira Gershwin--to which he had little reaction.  For that matter, he had little reaction to my visit, but that's typical of Jim. We chatted for a few minutes, I asked if he was eating, he said nothing tasted good, and I notice on his tray an unopened box of cornflakes and an unopened carton of milk. I stayed for only ten or so--I didn't want to tire him--then said goodbye and said I'd be in touch.

I then talked to his nurse--a very nice young man--who said Jim had actually improved and, in fact, was eating a little more than he had. That was good to hear, I thanked him and left. When I went out to the lobby, I asked the receptionist to call Angel, the social worker. I spoke to her and she mentioned that Jim would have to apply for Medi-Cal (for low-income people instead of Medicare) in order to recover in a care facility. She asked if I'd help with that and I agreed, of course, although I have no idea what Jim's income is. 

I left, bused back to the transit center, went to Target and got three big grapefruits and some nice tomatoes, then bused home. Made a sandwich, took it and an IPA to the complex center along with my book (I'm re-reading one on the perils of the Grand Canyon) and enjoyed myself in the beautiful sunshine.  Lorraine called in the evening and we chatted a bit.

No comments:

Thursday

On my way to Von's in the morning, I stopped into Great Clips to see if Maria was available. She wasn't, so I decided to try later i...