Saturday, December 28, 2013

Nail, Movie, and Indian Food

My beautiful daughter and I became even more beautiful and elegant yesterday once we got manicures at Pro-Nails.  Linda, Ellen's renter, had given each of us gift certificates for pedicures, but because our last ones were relatively new, we traded them in for manicures.  Lovely, indeed.
Had Bistro M.D. for lunch, then Gregg came over and we went to The Collection, a huge--and maybe quintessentially Californian--area, all shiny and new, containing almost every imaginable variety of shops and stores, theatres and outdoor attractions, and the largest supermarket I've ever seen, Whole Foods.
Of course, Whole Foods offers all kinds of treasures, such as juice made of any vegetables and fruits you choose, ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat food, wildly colorful produce, and all the other items usually found in supermarkets, but sanctified organic and at twice the price. 
We had coffee, then E. and I went to Saving Mr. Banks.  G. opted out and was content to linger at Starbucks with a book.  We both loved the movie and alternately laughed and cried on cue.  Mind you, I thought the editing was sloppy in parts and have issues with the creeping Disneyism which has been corrupting the culture for years; nevertheless, it was so absorbing and great fun.
We then drove to The Curry Leaf in Camarillo, an Indian restaurant Gregg knows well.  The owner greeted him, then Ellen and me, with big hugs and wet smackers on the cheek, which tickled both of us.  I asked Gregg to order for me, stipulating only that his choices be mild.  After serious consultation with Ellen, he did so, and we were served a variety of interesting food, along with a complimentary appetizer.  I can't remember the names of all, but they included Dal, spiced chicken, creamed spinach, and a tofu-like cheese in sauce.
Back at Ellen's, we sharpened our wits with a cutthroat game of gin rummy.  I won handily and just as I was putting down my last cards, P. and N. Skyped from Tokyo.  We had a fine time talking to them--although K. was sleeping and we weren't able to see him--and they virtually met Gregg.
It was another full, good day, as they all have been here.  Not sure what we're doing today, but whatever it is, I know I'll enjoy it.          

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...