Friday, December 20, 2013

California

Happy day; here I am in Californy-i-a, at my darling daughter's.  It was a pretty grueling trip: Susan and Walter picked me up at noon and took me to the NJ Transit station in Absecon.  They waited with me until the train came about 1:00 and I rode to the end of the line, 30th Street Station in Philly, to catch the Septa train to the airport.  Finally arrived at about 3:00, two hours early.
It was somewhat of a drag because I had to--well, drag, my huge, heavy suitcase, and was also carrying a big canvas bag of Christmas presents and my large "traveling purse," which weighs a ton by itself.  However, the fare for both trains totaled only $5.45; now that I'm in my dotage (Septa is only a buck for seniors).
I was pleasantly surprised to be one of those granted "expedited check-in" (or something), meaning I was waved to a special portal next to the usual mobbed and dreary one.  It was very quick and easy and didn't even include the horrid hands-over-head violation of privacy.  When I asked why I was granted this privilege (as were a few others), I was told "your airline arranged it."  What a contrast to the Ft. Lauderdale nightmare (see earlier post.  Thanks, Virgin America, I'll fly you again!
My darling Ellen was there at LAX to pick me up and we stopped at a Jack-In-The-Box for a quick sandwich and soda.  I'd never been in one before and thought it was pretty good.
Ellen set off with a kind of clothesline a private area in the living room for my sleeping quarters.  The blow-up bed, owned by Ellen's renter, Linda, was comfortable, but unfortunately, I had a difficult time getting up and on my feet.  Will ask if I can simply sleep on the couch.
Gregg invited us over for dinner tonight and we want to go first to Macy's to look for something to wear.  
It's far from warm here, and I'm glad I brought my heavy winter jacket.  Glad I brought myself, too, so I can spend my birthday and Christmas with my dearest younger daughter.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Hey Rosemary,
Glad you got there OK...next time...you might want to send your suitcase ahead of time. I've never done it that way, but a friend does it all the time.
Hope weather warms up a bit. Have a wonderful birthday and Merry Christmas to you and Ellen.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...