Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Last

This is my last day here (sob!) for this trip.  How I hate to leave Ellen, but for now, it has to be.
Yesterday, she, Greg, and I went to Barnes & Noble.  E. and I had a late breakfast there, then the three of us browsed happily among the books.
After, we drove to the middle of town, which was hustling and bustling with throngs of people on a brilliantly sunny, comfortably warm Saturday.  We had intended to go to a small museum, but it was closed.  Went to a larger one, but balked at the fifteen dollar admission charge--we've all been there before--and just examined the items in its gift shop. 
We strolled down the main street, stepping into the terrific stores, including The Olive Place.  Notwithstanding its unimaginative name, it was my favorite, and we sampled all manner of tapas, oil, and cheese.
Stopped at a natural foods restaurant for lunch, then spent a pleasant hour at a used book store.  I came across a very long bio of Ibsen; didn't buy it, but will request it from the library, as it includes a good discussion of his writing of Hedda.  I'll read it over, then share with my fellow cast members. 
Home, I called Betty to catch up on her doings, then sat for a time and continued to enjoy The Good Nurse while E. and G. rested up. E. and I then sat down to one of our now-traditional (established last week) gin rummy games, while Gregg went to Peet's for coffee. 
Linda came back and we dealt her in.  Gregg opted out this time, but acted as Ellen's advisor.  Had a riotous time--no question Linda's a kindred spirit--not even stopping long enough to eat.  We just had our left-over salads from lunch while we played, then a bit of wine.
Got up at 6:00 today and have been assembling what I need to pack.  We must take off for LAX at eight. 
I'm so very, very sorry to leave.  This has been my very best visits to California, not in small part, of course, because I see how happy my daughter is with her love.  I hate to be parted from her--and him, of whom I've gotten so fond--but I'm hoping we'll all be able to go to New Mexico in June and am looking forward to that.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...