Sunday, July 21, 2013

P & P And Dinner

I thought it might be complicated to get to Rachel's house in Egg Harbor Township for the Players & Playwrights meeting, so I left early.  Had time to stop at Canal's for a few bottles of wine, and still arrived a half hour before the designated 2:00.  Drove down the road and found a nice little cemetery, so went in there and checked out the tombstones. Saw one in the shape of a car--cool--but didn't stay long.
Drove back and went in.  Rachel's house is roomy and attractive, and obviously only a few years old (her husband is a retired physician, don't know what field), but pretty messy.  I'm puzzled at people who know they're having visitors, but don't bother to clean up beforehand.  I'd be embarrassed.
Anyway, others got there after I did, but only Louise, Denise, and Bernice made up the distaff side (that used to be a common expression) and Joey, Ernie, and Jim the guys.  Chairs were arranged in a circle and I was surprised that Rachel's husband and fortyish daughter stayed within it, although they didn't join in the discussions.  The daughter, Miriam, who is in her forties, is clearly handicapped; not sure if she has cerebral palsy, but she is mentally slow and physically awkward.  The husband is nice enough and at one point, cautioned Rachel to end whatever off-the-wall comment (her specialty) she was interjecting.
Ernie ran the meeting and there was a discussion on where we go from here, now that we no longer have John as a leader.  I was asked to take over the group, but declined--I have too much else going on.  I did agree to run the September meeting and Denise will take August. 
Ernie submitted the second act of his "Scottish mother and daughter in 1850 or whenever," play which Denise and Louise read.  It was excruciatingly boring, just as the first act was. 
We then heard Joe L.'s play about a doctor (he had been one) treating the son of a friend for addiction, which was more absorbing than the other piece.  The addict was portrayed, however, as both a jazz musician and a sculptor, a combination I find hard to get my mind around.
Thanks to Rachel's rambling talk, including about the Ad Hoc Players, which has no relevance in this group, we didn't break up until 4:30.  I zipped right over to Betty's, where she, Muckie, and I had a nice interlude on the porch.  Betty served dinner of salmon, zucchini, and roasted potatoes--very tasty--and we had a good time, as ever.  I left a bit before 7:00, as I'm always anxious to get home before dark, after a varied and enjoyable day.
Dine Around tonight, and I want to get some chores done around the house beforehand.
            

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...