Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Terraces

Got to my appointment at The Terraces at 8:00 am and was greeted by Carolyn R.  Her grandiose title is "Community Relations Director"--read "Sales Manager"--and she is, of course, a warm, welcoming type.  (They don't hire introverted grouches for a job like this.) 
Actually, I enjoyed talking to her once I learned she had been a theatre major at Montclair State.  We chatted, she promoted the establishment, I nodded, she took information, then I got the tour.
The Terraces include "apartments" from studios (single room and bath, quite small) to two-rooms and expanded kitchenette.  (Stoves aren't permitted--not sure if this is a state law--nor are bathtubs.)  I liked the big windows, most overlooking the grounds, and the corridors are broad and nicely carpeted.  There's a wing where the rooms open into a large expanse with sofas and easy chairs, nicely carpeted; a nice touch.
I'd be willing to bet shrinks and focus groups were involved--they always are--in extensive studies to uncover what décor would appeal most to potential clients and their families.  I've yet to see a facility that doesn't vaguely suggest an English manor house.  They all abound in cozy sitting areas, plush furniture, artfully draped window treatments, fireplaces, and here and there, tea service on a tray. 
Carolyn told me they have twenty-two residents at present--it opened less than a year ago--but I was surprised there aren't more, as I think they have room for about fifty.  The lousy economy, we agreed, was mostly to blame.
I thought it was interesting--and this would appeal to me if I ever thought of moving there--that residence are rented, not bought.  If you need or want to, you can move out with thirty days notice.  Incidentally, the place is privately owned by the same family that owns Seacrest rehab (where my husband stayed several times) and nursing home.
I thanked Carolyn, said I'd mention The Terraces to friends, took some material, and went off to pick up Aline.
We had breakfast at Dockside--very enjoyable--then I dropped her off to work at the library in Manahawkin, and ran some errands there.  Little of note went on the rest of the day.
    

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...