Saturday, July 13, 2013

Aline's Birthday

What I love about summer is there's so much going on so much of the time, practically all of it fun and games. 
No exception yesterday:  I was due at Aline's at 1:00, but got there beforehand and presented her with her birthday gift and card.  She loved the bracelet, which I had bought at Fabulous Jewelry.  I made sure it wasn't too fancy or bulky--she's not the type--and chose a silver and stone (beige and off-white) piece that will go with almost everything. 
I was taking her out to lunch and had told her she was to choose where we went.  She decided on Smithville Inn, which I like, too, so we went there.  Had a dinner-type lunch of beef brisket with mushroom gravy, string beans, and potato pancake, with a Blue Moon added for me.  I don't think I've ever had brisket before and  boy, it was good.
After, notwithstanding the grey clouds and drizzle, we walked the shops.  Aline and I both bought a few little over-priced doodads--she for her little niece, Penny, I for my grandchildren--but mostly browsed.  By the time we left, it was about 5:00 and we zipped up to Jeffreeze for ice cream.  It was so windy and cool, we ate it in the car, but it was good. 
Dropped A. off after conducting (as we always do, with no exceptions since we met), our usual running discussion on politics, philosophy, and the events of the world.  This is interlaced with opera topics, the books we're currently reading, occasional reference to movies and T.V., and news about family and friends.  It almost never includes health topics and never, never touches on how cruel everybody's being to Paula Deen or what celeb is screwing what starlet.  
That's why it's such a pleasure to be with Aline.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...