Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Allentown

Picked up my buddy, Aline, at noon and we zipped up 539 to Allentown.  It's a beautiful old place and before we started exploring, we noticed the tiny, two-hundred-year old cemetery across from where we parked.  We stopped there and enjoyed deciphering the few--only a dozen or so--ancient tombstones under a shady tree.
I had wanted to eat at DiMattia's, where I've been before, but it seems it's only open for dinner, so we went to La Piazza (or something).  I had something the name of which I forget: sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese inside a dough cylinder, sort of, that came with tomato sauce.  Very tasty.
After lunch, we strolled the town, going into the shops and admiring many of the nineteenth century houses.  We especially loved the library, where we spent a half hour or so.  It's in a beautifully restored building, formerly a Baptist church, built in 1820.  The very nice woman on the desk told me there had been a pipe organ in the far corner, which was struck by lightning in 1972; thereafter, the congregation presumably went elsewhere.  Anyway, it was lovely.
After, we walked down the street to where the lake goes over a dam and sat on a bench and chatted, then went back to the car.  By then, it was after 4:00 and I called a friend who lives on the way home.  We stopped there, visited for a bit, then drove back to Little Egg.  Before we got home, stopped and had an ice cream at Carvel's.
Lovely day, lovely experiences, lovely companion---lovely, lovely, lovely.  (That's an inside joke between Aline and me that relates to Hedda Gabbler dialogue).  
Woke up to see a message from my friend, Pat R., alerting me to a Little People, Big World showing.  Darn, I missed it, but hope to see it at Ellen's on her whatever-it-is-that-allows-you-to-run-TV-shows-anytime.  Thanks for the tip, Pat!

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...