Thursday, July 18, 2013

Doozy, But Fun

A doozy of a day.  Arrived at Stockton State at the appointed time of 11:00 am for my second and final "brain research" session.  This consisted of various memory tests with Dr. F. herself.
Naturally--and stupidly--I was pretty cocky going in.  I was sure I'd sail right through the stuff.  After all, I'm fairly intelligent and I'm able to memorize whole scripts and I write quite a bit and...
Ouch.  Boy, a lot of it was very challenging.  It isn't, after all, an I.Q. test, so it's not as if you're playing Trivial Pursuit (hmm...guess that isn't exactly an I.Q. test, either).  Anyway, there was an hour and a half of repeating back lists of numbers to Dr. F., easy with three or four, not so much with six or seven.  And after that, you have to repeat them backward.  She gave me (orally) long lists of objects, and I had to tell her which I remembered.  I was asked to indicate what was missing from certain patterns--with simple illustrations at first, but they got increasingly complicated, of course.  I was relieved when we got to the printed words that I had to describe: "shirt," "lunch," "mollify," and so on, but there was a word I've seen before, "reptircate,*" for which I  just couldn't remember the meaning.  Another, "pravid,**" eluded me altogether.  Don't recall ever seeing it before.
Anyhoo--I finally escaped alive and rushed off to meet Betty for lunch at Italian Cuisine.  I had suggested she bring her bathing suit and we'd go to the pool after.  She did, we did, and it was perfectly sublime in the water.
Went home close to 5:00, Betty left, and I spent some time washing clothes and on  leisurely pursuits.  Interesting day. 
* Couldn't find this in the dictionary, so I must be misspelling it.
** Means "trembling with fear."  Geesh, it's so obscure.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...