Sunday, April 21, 2013

P & P and Fiesta

E-mailed the person handling it to ask if I could attend the luncheon at the Crab Trap tomorrow, even though I was way late in responding.  She called  and said I could.  I intend to bring my theatrical resume and see if I could possibly take over the readers' group that Rachel now runs.  I'm also meeting Vivian for dinner tomorrow--prefer not to have two meals out in a day, but made an exception.
Our Players & Playwrights group met in the small library room, as librarians were having a session in the larger one.  Very close and hot, what with twenty people in a windowless space not much larger than my walk-in closet, but we managed.
John announced the selection committee's decisions about the plays accepted for our June show.  Two will be fully staged (that is, memorized and with props), the other five our usual "read" versions.  I was surprised and gratified to hear that two of mine made the latter cut: Hell On Wheels and Telephone.  Both are short, about ten minutes long, the first comedic and in rhymed couplets.  I definitely want to direct and now comes the hard part: choosing the actors. Three of the attendees immediately solicited me to pick them for a role--it's going to be tough.
I got to read a minor role yesterday; I was Dorothy, an African-American attorney on an airplane with a redneck pilot.  Sound pretty silly?  It was.  However, we had a good session.  John invited Dayle, Louise, and me to go to dinner, but I had the fiesta at 6:00 and D. and L. had commitments, so we made a date for after our May meeting.
Drove home, changed into the "lounging pajamas" I had worn in You Can't Take It With You and got to the clubhouse a bit after six.  Sat with Jack and Kathy D., Alice and Bill Somebody, and Phyllis T., Robert O., and Beverly D., all of whom are casual acquaintances and likable. 
The food, catered from the Mexican restaurant nearby, was delicious, games were fun, and all in all, I had a good time.  I did leave about 8:30-- dancing had started and that makes me feel melancholy.  What's funny about my reaction is that Pat never liked to dance anyway; I could drag him onto the floor when we were younger, but not after about fifty.  Even so, to see couples in warm embrace bothers me to an extent.  Besides, I had had a full day and was ready to go.
Nothing scheduled for today, which is fine by me. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Actor and now Director ----way to go. You remain an inspiration Rosemary with the way you embrace life. I look forward to seeing you perform in the next season.

Mimi said...

Pat, I would LOVE for you to come to one of the productions in which I'm involved. We'll keep a future excursion in mind.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...