Saturday, April 20, 2013

FELS Session

Left early for the FELS meeting, so I could stop at Produce Junction first.  The place was jammed, as I thought it would be, with people buying the beautiful and inexpensive flowers and plants they stocked.  I got only broccoli and mushrooms, as I'm planning to go again today.
This was the last meeting of the six or so sessions for FELS and it was kind of a "mixed" one.  Nine of the ten members attended and we first read  The Ugly Duckling, by A.A. Milne.  This is a cute little piece involving royalty, switched identity, and the obligatory happy ending.  Most of the players (I wasn't in this one) did a credible job and Bobbi has improved a lot.  Doris, however, is hopeless.  She reads--and it hasn't changed since day one--in a complete monotone, with no expression or emotion.
We were then inflicted with a long and tedious talk session led by Rachel, the facilitator, in her usual boring, long-winded, utterly nonsensical fashion.  This had to do with whether or not we would put on an actual readers' theatre for a paying--or not--audience.  I was there, I listened, but I'm not at all clear on the upshot. 
Finally, we got to Sorry, Wrong Number, a favorite of mine.  I played Mrs. Stevenson and did it with zest.  After all, I have experience--I was murdered twice before in a murder mystery and Night Must Fall.  Old (she's 88 and has a hip problem) Mary Jo played the operator and very well, too. 
I walked out with Louise, who is furious with Rachel, and no wonder, as  Rachel is constantly sniping at her: Yesterday, she kept telling Louise to raise her volume, although L. spoke with perfect clarity, as she always does.
Louise asked if Aline and I could get together with her on May fifteenth, just for fun.  Looks good to me and I'll mention it to Aline.
Talked to another member, Sondra, after that and found she's just as annoyed with Rachel as everybody else.  Sondra is also upset that she never seems to be picked for reading at Players & Playwrights; says she's dropping out of the group.
Got to Betty's a bit after 4:00 and she, Mary H., and I walked around the corner to Gino's for an early dinner.  I had a mediocre hamburger, but it was okay.  Left soon after and was home before 7:00.
Players & Playwrights By the Jersey Shore today.  I don't have a play to submit this time, but hope to be able to read for one.  Tonight is the Fiesta party at the clubhouse, so I'll go to that after I get back from Ventnor.    

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...