Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Full Day

Made an appointment for a 7 am mammogram tomorrow, then stopped at the Atlanticare office for the prescription.  I was told they had finally gotten a doctor again: William Berlin, M.D. will start in mid-June.  Looked him up and the only one with that name I could find is from New Mexico.  Okay, I have nothing against New Mexicans--or Mexicans, either. 
Picked Aline up at 12:30 and we went off to meet Betty for lunch at the Red Lobster in Mays Landing.  Had a tasty one--a "Bar Harbour salad" for me, plus a Samuel Adams--and good talk and laughs.  After, A. and I went to Bam! (that exclamation point annoys me as much as the "'R'" in "Toys 'R' Us"), where I got the $25 gift certificate for Anne Mary.  We then happily browsed the books.
Our next stop was Target.  I picked up some items for myself and with the help of a clerk, finally got Anne Mary's requested yogurt-covered blueberries.  Inexplicably, they're not in the dried fruit or snacks section, but at the end of the baking aisle.
From there we went to the cemetery, always a melancholy, but oddly agreeable activity.  I like to be with Aline or Leslie, in particular, because I consider both of them my soul mates in some fundamental way.  Must get out there to weed and plant before long. 
Next, we  stopped at the library for Aline to use the computer and I to pick up a book I had read about, The World Before Yesterday.  It was listed as "in," but couldn't be found--stolen?--so I had to request it.
By the time I dropped A. off, it was 5:30.  Walked down to Anne Mary's to give her the berries and gift card, which she promptly put in a note and gave to me.  I had suspected this was her intention and thanked her profusely.
Had the rest of my Bar Harbour salad for dinner.  Got a call from brother Jim, asking if my daughter had been running in Boston.  No, I'm glad to say, and how nice of him to call.
Another call was a surprise and very welcome.  It was from my St. James classmate of 60-some years ago, Elva B.  She said her sister, who lives in Northfield, had clipped and sent her my letter from last week to The Press of Atlantic City.  In it, I deplored the virtually universal tendency in the mass media to lament the loss of American lives in our wars, but to pay no attention to the death and destruction we bring to people in other countries.  Somewhat to my surprise, she strongly agreed.  We had a nice chat and I told her that one of these days, I'd drive up to her art gallery in Lambertville to see her.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...