Friday, April 05, 2013

Carolyn's And Dance Class

Such a terrific day yet again!  We got to niece/cousin Carolyn's in Santa Barbara a bit after 11:00 and she showed us around her beautiful home.  It's set high up, with a sweeping view of valley and mountains from a lovely backyard and garden.  Wisteria hangs from an over-arching trellis, and fruit trees--lemon and apricot--flourish, as well as lush flowers.  There's a pretty side yard, too, inhabited by their white rabbit, no doubt resting up from Easter duties.  The inside is wonderful: spacious and attractively furnished, with a terrific family room off the kitchen.
After the grand tour, Carolyn drove us down to The Beach House, which immediately became one of my favorite restaurants.  It's right on--yes, the beach and on this brilliantly sunny day, was a great place for lunch.  I got shrimp creviche, which I had never had before--never heard of, in fact--and it was delicious.  Even more delicious was our sharing of ideas and beliefs, often lively topics of discussion when family members get together.
When we got back to Carolyn's, we walked the short distance to Finn's and Claire's school.  Picked up Claire, who looked adorable dressed in an "old-fashioned farm girl" outfit for a school project.  Finn stayed behind to meet up with friends, and came in later. We spent another hour or two talking and laughing, and admiring the children's--and their mother's--art work, then said reluctant goodbyes.  Got back to Ellen's in time to shower and change for dance class--oh, yes, dance class--then had one of her yummy stir-fry dinners, which I enjoyed with a Blue Moon.   Got to the class at 7:30. 
It's held in a fencing studio, oddly enough, and the wife of the owner was one of the five students who attended last night.  The instructor, Valarie, teaches dance in elementary schools as part of the P.E.curriculum, a very sensible idea, it seems to me.  We did various steps of various folk dances and it was a lot of fun, but I seriously doubt if Hollywood will woo me.  I seem to have not two, but three left feet.  It was a lot of fun, though, and I hope to go again the next time I'm here.
Home, we had a snack and a chat, then I finished packing the big suitcase--why did I take so much?--and fell into bed.
Will be leaving for the airport in about an hour and as ever, feel so bereft.  I always have a wonderful time with my dear younger daughter, and it's hard to go.  I plan to come back for a longer stay in the summer, though, and will look forward to that.

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...