Saturday, February 02, 2013

Friends And Fun

Terrific, friends-and-fun-filled day!  I was dismayed to see the snow after our walk, but it accumulated only an inch or so and no prob.  Picked up Leslie, then Aline and we went to Dockside.  We all had sweet-and-sour chicken over rice, although their bean soup is fabulous.
We talked and talked, then talked some more and closed the place at 2:00.  They then went with me while I took a second dry run to find the H.'s house, way out on Nugentown Road.
Dropped Aline off, then Leslie.  They both emphasized how much they enjoyed our little excursion, which pleased me so much. I was quite sure they'd hit it off, and they did.  They're both gentle souls, Aline much more outgoing than Les, but in a modest, self-effacing way.   Anyway, it was great fun.
Did wash and puttered around, then showered and dressed for the Hedda Gabler production meeting.  For some reason, this had been called for the ungodly hour of 8:00, not our usual seven, let alone Our Gang's rehearsals at six. Picked up Aline and we got there with no problem.
We joined Jim and Mary, Desi, Kathy De V., Kevin B. (who murdered me in Night Must Fall, but hey, he's a good kid otherwise), and Ellen V.  Ellen, who's 78 years old, won't be able to see Arsenic, as she's leaving soon for an excursion to the Galapagos Islands.  Far from sitting on a veranda with a mimosa in one hand and a romance novel in the other, she'll hike and kayak during her "vacation" and, for all I know, follow her hobby of white-water rafting.
What a wonderful evening it was!  We sat at the bar in the H.'s beautiful big home and talked and talked and talked.  Topics ranged over Hedda--which we now found must be rescheduled for next February, a full year away-to opera, to Broadway, to Our Gang Players.  Jim and Mary had been very active in OGP years ago, Jim even on the board, but they seem to have had a falling-out.  We talked about experiences with other productions and the various--often hilarious--snafus that can happen on and off stage..
Anyway, it was a fabulous evening.  I stuck to beer, rather than wine--the H.'s stock very extensive booze offerings--and there were lots of nibbles, which took the place of dinner for me. 
Even more nourishing, though, was the talk and camaraderie.  Much as I like my neighbors here, it's so good to be with those outside this community.  Last night, I was entirely comfortable with people who share my love for the theatre and performing.  It was a rare and beautiful experience that pointed up the exquisite nature of the life of the mind.
I didn't get home until almost midnight. I had told Susan I'd probably skip our walk today and I did.  Slept until the ungodly hour of 8:16 and awoke relaxed, refreshed, and full of beans.  

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...