Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pies And Wind

As soon as I got back from our walk, I high-tailed it over to the Shop-Rite in Galloway.  It was jammed, of course, even at eight am, but I was able to get my pie ingredients and a few other items.  Met Betty for breakfast at the Dunkin' Donuts nearby and was pleased to see they have oatmeal on the menu.  Along with hazelnut coffee, my fave, it was pretty good.  We had a good talk, wished each other Happy Thanksgiving, then I went home to start the pies. 
Crust has always been the bugaboo of pie-makers, and I'm no exception.  I used to have a problem with mine holding together when I rolled it out and I had to piece it often.  Yesterday, though, I realized what was going on: At my mother's knee, I had learned that if you use too much water (ice water, of course), your crust will be tough.  Fearful of this pastry no-no, I think I wasn't adding enough water.  That didn't dawn on me until after the top crust on the apple had to be pieced.  For the (single) pumpkin crust, I put in several more spoonfuls of water than usual and it rolled out like a dream.  It remains to be seen, though, if it developed the dreaded toughness.  I'll whip the cream (wouldn't dream of using the canned stuff) today.  It'll keep long enough when it's cold and I'll put the bowl in a foam container with artificial ice.
In between the pies, I went back to Lowe's to return a floodlight bulb I had bought.  I was annoyed one the new one doesn't work, either, but it may be the holder connection.  Have had it for ten years, so I guess I should spring for another. 
Sat down for my usual forty-five minutes of T.V. viewing and was delighted to come across Gone With The Wind.  Watched until Scarlett scandalized Atlanta by dancing with Rhett, then had to go to bed, but what a terrific movie it is--and almost as old as I am. 
I still think Vivian Leigh's performance was less than it should have been (although she looked exactly right) and Leslie Howard was wrong, all wrong for the role of Ashley.  For openers, it's hard to believe a  sensuous and passionate girl like Scarlett would be attracted to--well, frankly, a kind of girly man. Besides that, he didn't bother to change his British accent, let alone add a tinge of southern speech.  However, Clark Gable and Olivia DeHavilland were perfect and so were the supporting players.
At this point, we're not sure where we'll be for Thanksgiving dinner.  Some of the gang from up north are sick, poor little guys, so it's possible they won't be able to come.  We're just waiting to see, but I know I'll be with at least some of those who mean the most to me, so I don't care where it is.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...