Friday, November 02, 2012

Full Day

Zowee, what an action-packed day!  Still unable to reach Doreen to find out if my Dionne program was on and the library open, I decided to just drive up there.  Grabbed my zip drive and a random box of quint stuff and put them in the car.  Aline called as I was about to leave to say her plans for a trip to Manhattan and Philly had fallen through.  She asked if she could come with me and sure thing, said I.  To my relief, when we got to Manahawkin, a sign on the door said, "Closed Until Further Notice," so that was that.
Stopped at B.J.'s for various supplies, then to Stafford Diner for breakfast--Aline's first, but my second, so I just had a bowl of oatmeal.  Went to Wal-Mart to see if I could find the "headlights" we had seen, but they didn't have any.  Place was jammed and shelves empty in spots.  I couldn't resist a lovely jar candle with pretend holly in it that I need like a hole in the head, but had to have.
Back in Little Egg, we drove down Green Street, but it was cordoned off.  I understand seven waterfront homes were destroyed there.  Went back a mile or so north and was able to take Dock Street to get to the bay.  All is serene now, aside from the fact that the beach is now covered with water and the whole side of a small building there was torn off.
Impulsively decided to go to Hamilton Mall and Aline was happy to come. 
We looked in a few stores, then had lunch at the food court.  By this time, it was pretty late and I was hungry.  Aline just had a kind of smoothie, but I had half a sandwich, salad, and soup. 
We stopped on the way home at the cemetery and I was happy to see mums blooming on Pat's grave. I planted them some time ago and they seemed not to take for a time. Rearranged the stone heart on Jay's headstone, noted the trees down--not large ones, though, and not many--then drove back.
Dropped my agreeable companion off and didn't get home until after 6:00.  I wasn't hungry after my late lunch, but made Betty stir-fry with chicken and a salad.  She still isn't able to get back in her house because of a water/sewage problem.
Called Ellen V., who lives in Forked River, right on the canal.  She went to her daughter's in Pine Beach for the duration, but neighbors said the water had risen right over her bulkhead and almost up to her back door.  Luckily, it stopped and she had no damage.
Betty and I looked at some hurricane pics on the computer, and I ended my agreeably busy day with the usual.  

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...