Thursday, November 08, 2012

Distribution Center

Snow!  After the hurricane scarcely a week ago, I was dismayed to feel the cold, then see the feathery white things coming down. Not sure how much--maybe two inches, but it's definitely "laying" and pretty or not, I don't like it.
After lunch I went over the distribution place at the Mathistown shopping center and helped fold and sort children's clothes for a few hours.  Three very large rooms are filled with clothing from newborn size to adult extra-extra-large.  The middle school where donated items had been received and held initially, has to be prepared for opening on Monday, so these things had to be transported elsewhere.  What a job it was and is. It occurred to me, too, that this store holds clothing only.  Where is, and where will, the thousands of household items--bleach, cleaners, buckets, containers. mops, and brooms--be stored?  And what about the personal care stuff, which I saw in abundance when I dropped my things off: razors, shaving cream, face soap, deodorant, brushes, toothpaste, and so on and on?  Can't imagine how they'll be stored.
I spoke to some of the people coming in for clothing and was dismayed to hear of their losses.  I had begun to realize the damage when I saw the mountains of ruined possessions outside homes in various areas, but the extent of it continues to shock me. Hope to get back to help again today.
I was thrilled and delighted to see that Julia Brownley won the senate seat in Ventura County, Ca.  My daughter, Ellen, had worked for months to get her elected, making phone calls, canvassing, and otherwise throwing herself into the campaign.  What satisfaction she must feel!
  

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...