Thursday, March 04, 2010

Went to the three-mile walk exercise at the clubhouse and boy, was that a workout! It incorporated a number of new moves--double knee bends, twisting and turning, and upper body stuff--all at a very fast pace. It took about 45 minutes and when it was over, I was soaking wet. It was torture and it felt SO GOOD to be back in the vigorous exercise mode. Sent away for the authentic stretch belt from the Leslie Sansone site because the other, unanchored ones I have don't lend themselves to this. Was annoyed that the cost, with postage, came to thirty bucks. Highway robbery, says I, but it will add to the effectiveness of the workout.
Zipped up to Manahawkin in my least favorite kind of weather: the sky dark and foreboding, needle-like icy rain--I guess that's sleet--coming down, and cold wind blowing incessantly. It was great to roll into the garage and come home to a delicious aroma from the butternut squash and sweet potatoes I had stewing in my new small crock pot.
Have been practicing lines for Clairee and hope to be off-book for the most part tonight when I take my understudy part.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Rosemary,
You often mention butternut squash. I was sure I didn't like squash of any type until last week. I picked up some already prepared with Yukon gold potatoes etc and it was delicious. I'm hooked. Would you tell me how you cook your butternut squash, and I'll make it in my crock also.
I think Wii provides a good workout, but you don't get any of the socialization you can get when done with others.
Thanks,
/pat

Mimi said...

Pat, that was the first time I made it in the crock pot. You can boil, steam, or bake it, but usually, because it's faster, I just do it this way: I don't bother to pare it, although you can. I just pierce it here and there with a knife to let steam out, then microwave it for five minutes. This makes it easier to cut, which I do, lengthwise. I remove the seeds with a spoon, then cut it into four more-or-less equal pieces. Put it back in and zap it for about another 5 minutes. I sprinkle it with Mrs. Dash and salt, and maybe a little butter or butter spray, and eat it with a spoon and fork, sort of scooping it out. Of course, for you and Rich, you can pare it first, then cut it in chunks. I don't add sauces to it, as there's where the calories lie, but you can, of course. I never buy it prepared, as I want to make it myself--it's inexpensive, simple to do, and then you know there are no additives. Actually, the only veggie I buy prepared is frozen spinach (aside from the canned stuff that I use for "dump soup").

Pat said...

Merci beaucoup. I will be trying this very soon.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...