Sunday, March 07, 2010

Went to the Ocean County Historical Society for a lecture on Amelia Earhart. It was fascinating and the lecturer, speaking extemporaneously, was very good. She's a New Jersey woman, identified in the brochure as an "Amelia Earhart historian" and is a prominent member of the Amelia Earhart Society. I had heard somewhere that she is one of only a handful of "certified" A.M. speakers. She had on display a number of artifacts and pictures, as she's a collector, too. I've renewed an interest lately in figures of the thirties and forties (just finished Kate Smith's biography and am now reading Gertrude Ederle's), so I enjoyed this immensely, being "in the zone," so to speak.
After, my companion and I joined a tour of the museum--a Victorian house furnished appropriately--then left and went for a cup of tea. Having heard about the Goodwill Thrift Shop in Bayville, we went there. It's a very large and well-run store--and both we bought several outfits. I got three pairs of slacks and a pot of artificial flowers--thought I may use it in the library display for "Magnolias"--for a total cost of $13.87!
Got home about 6:30, phoned sister Betty, then settled into my evening routine. A fine day, all in all.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...