Saturday, October 31, 2009

Traveled to Manahawkin to get a Scrabble game--my old one is missing pieces--and a few other items. We meet at my house on Tuesday. Other than that, just poked around, scratching furiously at the chigger bites. Lucille B., who plays one of my daughters in Riders, stopped in and brought me some "Chigg-Away" a friend of hers had. The stuff does seem to work and I immediately ordered one for me, one for A. (you can get them only on-line).
Speaking of A., I was disappointed when I call her and she said she had left a message on both my home and cell phones, asking if I wanted to take a walk. I would have loved to, but the damn message machine is not registering correctly and I didn't hear the cell.
Today, to Toms River with the D.'s for the big Halloween parade.
Later: Darn, darn, darn: Went to Weight Watchers and I'm up another .2. Okay, that's only two tenths of a pound--two ounces and change?--but it adds up to 142.2. Pounds lost now total 57.4. I must remind myself that when I weighed 204 pounds, I would have been walking on air to be at 142.2. However, I want to, I need to, and I WILL get back to my ideal of 125 to 130. That's a promise.
Wider: I dip into the libertarian LewRockwell.com blog every once in a while, although there's a slew of stuff there I can't stomach. An example? This, by Pat Buchanan (yes, that Pat Buchanan), writing about the folly of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan:
"While these two wars have cost 5,200 dead, a trillion dollars and a divided America facing an endless war, what have we won?"
That little sentence, those handful of words illustrate the immensity of American hubris. So the dead total 5,200. That's five thousand, plus two hundred. It's a bit more than half of 10,000. I think it's actually about the same as the total population of the small town where I grew up. That's a lot of people. Such a shame. How dreadful. Of course, that's the total, which isn't TOO bad, of human beings killed over there, right?
Wait, there are more? Men, women, and children? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Don't be silly, no such thing, that's just crazy, you're wrong, you got rocks in your head.
Well, if you're gonna count the animals who live there--!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mimi,

It seems lately that I have seen a bit too many times the writers at anti-war.com regale us with the number of U.S. soldiers killed but no mention of the locals murdered by our glorious warriors. I have little sympathy for U.S. soldiers because I reserve most of my sympathy for the Afghans and Iraqi who have been killed, maimed or sent into exile because of us. They are all citing that psychopathic murderer Hoh, the hero of the day. One writer even calls Hoh a hero even though Hoh has admitted that he thinks killing people is fun. Hoh is a monster and I’m really having doubts about anti-war.com these days.

Mimi said...

Amen to that, Rob.

Nestor Kowalsky said...

who the heck is Hoh?

Mimi said...

Nestor:
Hoh is a former foregn service official who resigned in protest at the goings-on in Afghanistan. Of course, just like Buchanan, the murder of innocents doesn't concern Hoh; all that matters are the strategic questions and the American dead. See The Washington Post, that enthusiastic supporter of all things imperial U.S.:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/10/27/DI2009102703143.html

May we know who Nestor is? Just curious.

Jonathan Versen said...

re Nestor: t'was just me, childishly sockpuppeting. I thought for a moment I'd made up a unique name, but apparently I was wrong. Please forgive my silliness.

Mimi said...

Oh, Jon, that's so funny--and it's incredible that a person with that name exists.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...