Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yesterday the usual. Pat didn't get up the first time until 12:30, had breakfast, then slept until almost 4:00. I used the waterless shampoo and the "washcloths" you can heat in the microwave and I think he felt a little better. However, the cloths are expensive. I used five of them and there are only eight in a package for $4.99. By the time I got him dressed and in the living room, it was almost five. We eat at six, so effectively, the whole day was gone. Well, that's the new normal, I guess.
Wider: For some time, I've been noticing the ties politicians wear. Wouldn't you know, Bush and his gang members almost invariably wear red ones, Obama and his cohorts blue. Of all the cynical, crappy, two-bit "symbolism," that takes the cake. But I guess it makes about as much sense as the flag pin uproar--early in the campaign, O. didn't wear one (how could his handlers have overlooked that sleazy evidence of "patriotism"?), but of course, the oversight was speedily corrected.
On the same topic, I wonder if anyone in the U.S. remains innocent of the care taken that everything surrounding politics is planned, arranged, and handled by a stableful of "advisers." This includes things as seemingly inconsequential as what politicians' families wear when they're trotted out to greet the public. I mentioned to someone I thought it was a mistake to dress Michelle in that hideous dark dress with the neon-red insets she wore for the acclimation. It seems to me her tall, athletic frame lends itself to spiffy tailored slacks and maybe blazer jackets. The woman to whom I was speaking was shocked that I thought the FL-to-be didn't choose her own wardrobe. Ha! Take note that she was almost invariably wearing a dress during the campaign. Now how many women do you know who regularly wear dresses or skirts? Almost none, right? Yet p0liticians' wives seem to have to, to prove they're not tainted by this scary women's lib stuff and know their place at home and hearth.
Case in point: Hillary Clinton. Contrast her sweet little hausfrau look when she was simply Bill's wifie and dressed almost invariably in skirts and dresses with the glory days when she was a presidential candidate--slacks and slack suits all around.
And so it goes. It's all grist for the political mill in which we're slowly ground to bits and emerge as chaff for the powers that be.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...