Friday, January 02, 2009

Had a good time at Mary Ann Van O.'s little dinner party. There were two other couples, both of whom I've known almost since we moved here, and the Van O.'s daughter. Bart, who has the same malady as Pat--emphysema--didn't come out of the bedroom until dessert time, but clearly enjoyed the gathering.
Pat did not have a good day yesterday. He didn't get up the first time until 11:30, late even for him, went back to bed after "breakfast," then didn't get up again until after 3:00. By the time he washed and shaved and I had made him tea and wrapped him a sandwich, I actually had to rush to get to the Van O.'s by 5:00. He's sleeping his life away, and I'm afraid that's literally true.
When I got home, Mike web-cammed and I enjoyed talking to adorable Vivian and seeing precious Violet. Vivi loves the knee socks I sent her, but two pair are big for her. She put a black pair on the usual area--they reached to a few inches above her knees--and put a white pair on as long gloves! She's so cute and funny and pretty and smart. (This from an entirely neutral source, her Nana.)
Wider: Started the book Rogue State, by William Blum, last night. I feel such grief to discover what our country has done over years--and not just during Republican control, but as bad or worse with the Democrats. With so many millions of others, I had always complacently believed our causes were just and our wars unavoidable. If I ever considered the slaughter and maiming of other people, I let that horror slide away in the confident knowledge that "we couldn't help it" in our (practically devinely-willed) goal to save the world from itself.
I'm so ashamed.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...