Monday, January 05, 2009

The hike around Osewgo Lake started out great--it was a perfect day: cold, brilliantly sunny and not a cloud in the sky--but for me, didn't last. We started out (18 of us) along a broad dirt road and went about two miles. At that point, the leader deviated onto a narrow path through the woods. All well and good, except the bottom of the path was a sheet of ice. There was no way to walk on the edges, as it was "cut in" and I started slipping and sliding. If I thought it would melt off soon or was only on a portion of the path, I might have continued, but I'm very nervous about ice and dread a fall and broken bone. I had to tell the group I'd have to drop out. One of the guys said he'd walk me back but, luckily, I was only a few yards (through a clearer space) away from the dirt road, so went back myself--disappointed and somewhat embarrassed, but I couldn't risk it.
It was eerie walking back through the silent and vacant woods, but I made it fine. Got home just as Pat was waking. Gave him breakfast, his companion and I ate lunch, then she and I went for a 2.5 mile hike in Freedom Fields, the park near us. I figure I got in 4 to 5 miles at least--less than I had hoped, but not bad.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...