Thursday, January 29, 2009

For all my rapturous comments on the snow yesterday, the slushiness and slight slipperiness ("slushiness and slipperiness!") of it persuaded me not to walk. It rained later and is now all washed away.
Used the new carpet cleaner and was pleased at the results. Did other stuff not worth mentioning.
Barb H. came last night while I went to the acting workshop. That was enjoyable. There's a big variation in degrees of aptness or suitability or whatever you want to call it in the participants. One of the guys seems to have had some experience and is good as Popoff (?) in The Boor with a Russian accent. He also tends to be kind of full of himself and lets others know their deficiencies. One woman has a monologue in which she's a nagging wife. She talks in an absolute monotone and really needs work. The others vary, but I guess aren't bad.
We had been asked to flesh out our characters and do a little research and I found the delightful book Synge wrote called The Aran Islands. Also found the play itself and printed it out. I was surprised, considering the availability of material on the Internet, that several people in the group had very little to offer in the way of background.
Next week: gestures!
Later: Was just happily surprised with a web cam call from precious four-year-old Vivian in Singapore. She got a computer of her own for Christmas and the camera is built in; picture is much clearer than Mike's. We talked for a few minutes, then she had to take her bath, as it was evening over there. I'm so glad to have the web cams so I can see my darlings from so far away.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...