Monday, January 26, 2009

Took a long-overdue trip to Santori's and stocked up on yams, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, and feta cheese. Thought Pat wouldn't be up yet by the time I got home, as he's been sleeping so late, but he was. Luckily, I had the coffee maker ready to turn on and he didn't have to wait too long before I got his breakfast.
Very nuthin' doin' day otherwise. Lazed around a lot, bored out of my mind, and actually over-indulged in food I don't usually eat. This is the first time, aside from celebratory meals, I've done that since I've lost the seventy-some pounds, and I'm not too concerned--but want to nip it in the--uh, body.
Wider: On the blog, "Sans Everything," Ian Mason writes about the recent increase in military recruits because of the tanking economy. His quick history of armies is enlightening, and so is his concluding paragraph as he discusses all-voluntary military service:
"An army must give its loyalty to someone, and if by paying it well we ensure that this someone is not the generals, then we should be glad of that; but we should also consider that by exempting ourselves from service, the army has been left free to give its loyalty to the state rather than to us. We shouldn’t be surprised to find it engaged in war after war, defending “interests” we don’t quite understand, and fighting ever longer and ever farther away from home. What is there, after all, to hold it back?"
Note closely that sentence about the army and its loyalty. It's essential for citizens to acknowledge the divide between "the state" and "us." We are not the state! And we should be aware when the two are confused, as they routinely are by media "echo chambers," as Justin Raimondo calls journalists.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...