Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Lifeline lady, Marlene, came while Pat was finishing breakfast and was here for about two hours. She's so nice--was very knowledgeable, informative, and thorough; Pat and I both liked her. We also found we had mutual acquaintances and enjoyed chatting about that.
Susan came to sit with Pat after dinner and I went to the acting workshop. Desi, the director, gave me a passage from Riders To The Sea, by the Irish playwright, J.M. Synge. My monologue is a terrific one delivered by "Maura," a woman bereaved by the loss of her husband and six sons--all taken by the unforgiving ocean. Must read up on Synge, the play, and Maura.
Wider: Just a cranky note from the old cynic--that's me, folks. I read that Obama took the presidential oath a second time because of the stumbling or faulty word sequence or something at the big bash on Tuesday. It occurred to me that this is a perfect illustration of the triumph of style over substance in our ticky-tacky world. Don't worry about what you're actually saying--TO DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION, GOT IT?--just so long as it sounds good.
Okay, now I'll shut up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've read by now what had happened. Roberts said the line wrong, and Obama knew it was wrong, paused to let him correct it, and when Roberts didn't, then proceeded on with the incorrect line, as he had been asked to recite it.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...