Sunday, January 04, 2009

Got to BJ's and Staples early and picked up essential stuff that we desperately needed, that we couldn't live without, that...now what items were they, exactly? All I remember is cottage cheese.
Saw in the Atlantic City Press that a classmate of mine, Franklin H., has died. I'll go to the "Life Celebration"* in Brigantine tomorrow night. Other than that, just the usual. In a few hours, I'll leave for my first hike of the new year. It's at Oswego Lake and I'm looking forward so-o-o much to getting out in the woods and away from the incessant noise: the ever-present television no matter where you go, the lousy music piped into every store, the car, trucks, planes--no wonder everybody's on Prozac or alcohol.
* Who in the H-E-double toothpicks** ever came up with the idea of a "life celebration?" Talk about stupid, idiotic, and just plain vulgar! Could this type of happy, sappy talk have contributed to ease with which the electorate swallows "war is peace" type lies? Hey, give this guy a funeral, fer cryin' out loud, he's DEAD!
** An old lady of my acquaintance, long dead herself, used this expression. I was always charmed by it.
Wider: Arthur Silber's writings on his blob, "Once Upon A Time," are so clear and penetrating and so angry and true, they send me reeling. All his stuff is good and he references sources religiously. Here's just a tiny snippet:
"I almost admire the Democrats' defenders in a certain way. The Democrats stab them deep in the gut and, while the knife is disemboweling them, the Democrats continue to lie in their agony-ridden faces -- and the victims still tell these bastards they will continue to support them. This collection of subhumans give sado-masochists a bad name. The commitment to cruelty, self-abasement and self-humiliation is all but perfect. It's no wonder they can regard one genocide after another with equanimity. It appears none of these people has a conscience any longer to be troubled in the smallest degree."
Boy, Arthur, you helped turn this lifelong dem into a--well, what? I voted for Nader because Obama chose Biden and I'm glad I did. But I'd like to come in from the cold and now I have no place to go.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...