Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nice day. Jack B. stopped in at exactly the right time: about 3:00 when Pat had eaten breakfast and was washed, dressed and settled in his easy chair. We laughed when he told us he had just played a round of golf. Snow was coming down--just a dusting--and even he knew he was possessed.
Ray came in while Jack was here to get our picks for the Super Bowl (we kick in $5.00). Naturally, this isn't simply who's going to win or by how much. Ray had made up a big, intricate chart and tried to explain it. You write your name on 4 or 5 squares and winning depends on what the score is at what time or if the Jupiter and Mars are in alignment or something--have no idea. Anyway, Pat added his name and the four of us sat and chatted for a half hour or so. It was very enjoyable, although it pointed up how much I miss company.
Earlier, Anne Mary called and we talked--rather, she talked, I listened--for one hour and six minutes by the clock. She needed to tell me what happened to Eddie,who died in her arms last week. Never one to leave out the most minor detail, she filled me in thoroughly.
Okay, we laugh over things like this, but Eddie meant the world to her, especially after Carlos died 18 months ago. I wasn't so crass as to ask how much the services they received cost her, but it must have run into the thousands. She finally had him "put down," as the saying goes.
Yes, that's right, Eddie and Carlos were doggies--pure white miniature poodles and if I say it myself (just as I often say, "A good dog is a stuffed dog"), they were very cute and playful animals.
I'm afraid of big dogs, but small ones are okay as long as they belong to somebody else.
Later: Went to Weight Watchers and was pleased to be down by 1.2 for a total of 71.6 pounds off and a current weight of 128. Want to get down to 125.
Wider: There's a remarkably clear and well-written treatise on various "wars" the government promotes, especially the so-called "war on terror." See http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=6 for this.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...