Sunday, April 02, 2006

Things may be--mind you, just may be--looking up a bit. Pat had a marginally better day yesterday, I think, and I came out of my suicidal (no, I'm not serious about that, but I was pretty low) slump. I read an interesting web site by a shrink who said most couples are comprised of a passive and a controlling partner--they seek each other out. Well, guess who's who in this 47-year-long trial marriage?
I hadn't even been aware that Pat has ointment for his incredibly dry and scaly lower legs and feet until he mentioned it to the nurse. With all his other problems, this may be minor, but it's very uncomfortable for him, so I apply the ointment, massage it in, then put on his socks, which I cut down. They were too tight at the top--his legs are so swollen with edema that they cut into his legs.
I also--and this could cause a war--bought a weekly pill container, the kind divided into little squares. This has four compartments for each day, labeled morn, noon, eve, and bed, so all the pills (his medication list includes 12 items, most pills, some inhalers) are organized and he can just take them at the appropriate times. He will not be happy I did this I know, and I'm trying to think of a way to approach this. Maybe I should just let him continue to spend about twenty minutes three times a day laboriously going through his pile of pill bottles and other containers to figure out what he takes now.
As for food, dinner last night was lemon pepper chicken drumsticks baked in the oven (very good); mashed potatoes (fair), and string beans without salt (ugh, but that's the only "vegetable" Pat will eat).
I'm hoping Pat will get serious about adding exercise to his routine, as he's supposed to. He barely moves now and it's been more than a month since he's done much but sit.
Had flounder and salmon the other night--very good. Not sure what for tonight, but I'd like chicken again.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...