Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Various and Ventura Star

Slept late yesterday and didn't walk Kimball. Jeanne (Dollard) Painter called, as she does every few months, ditzy as ever. She's now in Palm Beach (FLA) with John, her 89-year-old paramour and ditzy as ever. Spent what seemed that long on the phone with the Star, those black-hearted pirates (see below).
I called my brother, Frank, but there was no answer. Called niece, Maureen, and she filled me in: Frank is still in the hospital, but no longer in San Luis Obispo; he's improving and is in good spirits,  but is confused about why he's there. Maureen's voice was garbled, but I think she said he'd be released today.  Called Betty and Carolyn to fill them in. I'll call Frank again when I'm on the bus.
Drove to the podiatrist's office to drop off the paperwork they had sent, but annoying, it wasn't open. Not sure why.
Betty called. I'll take off for Santa Barbara in a few hours and we'll have lunch.  I called Nancy to see how she was doing after her great-grandson's suicide and we talked. Walked over to Von's, then drove to other stores for various, mostly veggies, bread, and blueberries. Did other this and then until I left about 5:15 for widder dinner.
It took quite a while for the bus (one of these days, I'll check the schedule, as I have a book), but it finally did and took me to Victoria. After that, I just walked the mile and a bit to Stone Fire Grille. There were about about twenty of us there and we had a congenial time. I didn't mention I hadn't driven there and slipped out to walk to Victoria, then caught the bus to Telegraph. I was glad to get at least that much walking in.
My rib is still bothering me and so is my bunion, but they're not too bad.
                                                                     -------------
I'm adding this in order to keep track of it:
I've called the Ventura County Star now three times in the last two weeks to 1.) find out why my payment for the daily paper keeps changing month-to-month. Since August of 2018, it has ranged from $34.26 to 57.00; it's different every month, but usually $50 and change. I asked three times for an itemized list of what exactly I'm paying for and was assured each time it would be forthcoming via email.
Yesterday, I noticed that my account had been charged $22.76 on March 12 and another $22.76 on March 15. When I called, I was told my monthly charge now was $22.76 and that the first charge covered March and the second, April. I have no idea why they would cut the cost in half like that. Was it because I complained? There seems no rhyme or reason to it.
I then asked again for an itemized list of what I had been paying in the months of July '18 to February, '19, since it varied so much. I was put on hold and waited and waited. At some times, there was dead air, others there was music. I have the idea they know people get so frustrated they hang up, which is what I did.
I immediately called again, I guess about 10:40 and was told there was an 8-minute wait, but if I wanted a callback, I could do that. I did and continue to wait; it's now 10:47. 
It's now the next day and I've never been called back.

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...