Monday, October 20, 2014

Prince Igor

After sleeping almost three hours longer than usual, then dallying over breakfast, I had to hop to it.  I was "assigned" to provide refreshments for Mary Ann's monthly Musical Arts.  Usually, when I do something like this, I pride my self on homemade everything, but yesterday, I just didn't have time.
Rushed to Acme and picked up two already-made hoagies, a mixed-fruit compote, and three slices of cheesecake--plain, cherry, and chocolate.  I just cut the hoagies into slices, added apple slices to the fruit, and divided the cake into smaller portions. Put together disposable plates and tableware I already had--not the horrible paper kind, but foam with pretty tulips on them and tableware that looks like silver.  Rushed to the clubhouse and set everything up.
Mary Ann had told me five were coming, but seven showed up and didn't think I'd have enough for all.  I did, but barely.
It was the first time I was in the newly-decorated clubhouse, which now boasts about the ugliest design treatment I've ever seen. Geometric pattern after geometric pattern in various shades of olive, mustard, and seasick blue, cover the big, hugely uncomfortable "easy" chairs and portions of the dreadful drapes on the windows.  Large, heavy, round tables are scattered here and there, all in a peculiar shade of what I suppose is some kind of oak. Or maple.  Or putty gone bad.  It's certainly something unknown to nature.  The whole thing reminds me of a stodgy gentleman's club, where the plutocrats puff on cigars and discuss how to screw the natives.  Anyway, it stinks.
BUT--Prince Igor, the opera, was spectacular.  What we saw was actually a 1969 movie, not a stage opera, full of hussars and khans and lots of men on horseback.  It was written by Alexander Borodin and first performed in 1890.  (You can recognize the music for "Stranger in Paradise," lifted for use in Kismet.)  It was so enjoyable I'll watch it again on YouTube.  What a treat and here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKEpFsXID1w
Home after 4:00 and got a call from Jimmy D., Betty's old boyfriend, with whom I've been in touch.  He and his wife are at the Residence Inn in Atlantic County, but only until tomorrow morning, then go back to California.  We made a date to meet at 1:00 for lunch today, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's a good idea, as I'm getting the damn tooth out at 9:00.  If need be, I'll call and cancel Jimmy.


    

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...