Monday, October 27, 2014

Lunch and Spanky Davis

Pleasant day.  Went to Italian Gourmet where I met Betty, Helen C., Donna and Kay, with whom I've interacted before.  Last two are in their eighties and harmless, I'm sure.
The lunch menu listed a "hangover burger," which I ordered along with my fav, a Blue Moon.  I hadn't read the whole description and was bemused when it was served topped with bacon and a fried egg.  Ate half, which wasn't bad, but doubt if I'd order it again; those three together seem like overkill and talk about your death by cholesterol...
I gave the ladies info on our Listen to This! show and also, two nice apples apiece, assuring them I had picked them with my own paws. They were properly appreciative and we parted.  Gave Betty the same and added half the Brie I had bought Saturday and two jackets I had--uh, outgrown.
Thought I'd drive up to Manahawkin after and search out Sleepy's to look at a mattress for the guest room.  Unfortunately, when I stopped for red lights, the car stalled and I just drove back home. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take it to Mastercraft.
I was sorry to get an e-mail from Leslie telling me Spanky Davis has died.  Viewing and service are today, to which I'll go.  Spanky was a well-known jazz trumpeter, who played behind Sinatra and other legends years ago.  But he developed diabetes, had to have a leg amputated, and got sicker and sicker in later years.  We had them over for dinner a few times and vice versa.  I know and like his wife, Rosemary, who had studied and sung opera as a young woman; I left a message offering condolences.
Congratulations to a certain dear girl and her great guy on their first "knowledge of each other" year together!

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I totally agree with you. St James will always be the place where I was baptized and not Holy Trinity.

Friday

Weight: stayed the same at home (125.4) and at T.O.P.S. was up an inconsequential .06 to 125.4. Maria brought a guest and we had a fairly in...