Thursday, October 02, 2014

Lunch and Killing Civilians

Cleaned off my desk and part of the study.  The carpet under my chair was stained, so I used Resolve.  Looks somewhat better, but it's still noticeably dirty.  Wonder why.  Could I be because I often eat in there?  Nah.
Met Betty at Pitney Pub for lunch; this time, it wasn't quite as good as the other day.  I had a Reuben, Betty pastrami, and neither seemed that great.  However, we had a good chat.
After, I went to Staples to see if they had any 2014 desk calendars left.  Of course not, but I bought some plastic containers.
Got a call from Jack B., brother Larry's old friend, commenting on Lily's death; he saw a piece in the Asbury Park Press on it.  There was one in the Press of Atlantic City, I assume the same one, as it was from the Associated Press.
I was delighted to receive e-mails from my P & P pals, Dayle F., Louise S., and Grey L., accepting my invitation to attend the info meeting tonight on our Listen to This! show.  I want to make a pitch for Grey to take the role of Spike Grogan, a dirty, lowdown hood, in my play; told Grey it would be right down his alley.
Betty Mae McGlynn W. called while I was out for just a few minutes.  She said she would to hear about the reunion.  Sorry I missed her and I don't have her number, but asked her via Facebook to call back today.
WIDER:  "Relaxing" standards.  What in the living hell has this country come to?   
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2014/10/01/us-relaxing-standards-killing-civilians-iraq-and-syria

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Performing my copy-editor function, I located an error in the very first sentence of the linked article. They wrote, "The Obama administration has admitted that it is relaxing its standards ..." but should have written, "The Obama administration has boasted that it is relaxing its standards ..."

Of course, this doesn't even address the provocative question of whether standards can be "relaxed" when they do not, in fact, exist.

Mimi said...

Sadly, that's certainly so. And if your "enemy" is so ill-defined and so scattered, how can you pretend you care about killing civilians, anyway? So disheartening.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...