Friday, October 31, 2014

Entry One: Pat's Automotive

I'M STILL WITHOUT A CAR!
I wish I had never taken it to Pat's Automotive.  The saga went like this:  
  Monday: stopped at Pat's Automotive, described the problem (stalling at red lights), said I needed it on Tuesday, so he said to leave it on Wednesday.
  Wednesday, 10 am: Frank followed me over to leave the car and took me home.  Pat said he'd call me when it was finished.  At 5 pm, I called him and he gave me a song and dance about how tough it was.  Said he'd call me it by "lunchtime" on Thursday to get it.
  Thursday: "lunchtime" hadn't been specified, but I called him at 4:30.  Phone rang and rang, then there was a recording saying, "leave your access number."  Frank took me there and I saw my car was still on the lift.  Pat said he was just finishing up and I could come back at 7:00 and it would be done.  Frank took me to the bank so I could withdraw the three hundred dollars Pat said he would charge; he accepts only cash.
  Thursday: Frank took me back at 7:00 and car was still on the lift.  Pat said he had run into metal in the fuel pump (or oil pump, can't remember which); car was still on the lift.  Pat said he had just called me and left a message.  Now, for the first time--ominously--he mentioned the motor, which he never said a word about before.  Said he'd call me "by noon" on Friday.
When I got home, I checked the answering machine and there were no messages.
So here I am on Friday at 6:26 am, still without a car.  I think Pat is a liar and a cheat and what I'm afraid of is, that I'm going to go there again and he'll tell me it's actually the motor and will cost two thousand dollars.
                                                         xxxxx
NOTE:  Aline, who's in Westchester for the weekend, e-mailed me asking about the car and this is what I replied.  I'm putting it here simply because I use this blog as both a diary and a reminder of various.  Surprisingly often, I look up details about which I may be unclear and I sure as hell don't want to forget anything surrounding this sorry saga.  I'm not sure why it comes out oddly printed; that seems to happen whenever I copy an paste anything, but no matter, I guess.  

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Do you have another garage in mind, in case that happens?

Also, regrettably, if the engine requires replacement, $2K won't get it done. I'd guess more like $4 to $6K. You may want to assess your ability to replace the car with one of equivalent age, mileage, and condition, for purposes of comparison to whatever repair cost estimate you ultimately receive. Anyway, if Pat seeks authorization for multiple thousands of dollars, having the vehicle taken to an alternative shop for a second-opinion diagnosis and estimate is probably in order.

Mimi said...

Thanks for your advice, Jim; I know you're right. The car isn't worth putting that much money in (it's a 2003 Buick with 201,000 miles on it). I just hope to keep it until I move to California in 18 months or so--I hope. Anyway, got it back, as I'll elaborate on tomorrow.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...