Thursday, October 09, 2014

Insurance and Those Who Run This Country

I was pleased to get an early call from Adele C., of FELS, to tell me ten people had signed up for my acting class.  I asked for their names, as I want to have name tags ready and was surprised that Aline was not among them.  When I talked to her later, she said she had overlooked registering, but called Adele immediately and there's no problem with her joining the class.
Picked up the very same gal at 9:00 and we went to breakfast at Dockside.  Had a long, leisurely, lovely one--good conversation along with scrambled eggs--then went down to Graveling Point, one of our favorite places.
We were surprised and pleased to see that the water was turbulent, I guess because of the full moon.  Drove to the Green Street bay to see that water; it's never as exciting as at GP, but was still full and beautiful.
I had loaded my book donations into the truck and we dropped them off at the Tuckerton thrift store.  We then we went to the Little Egg Library, so Aline could print out the FELS application. Dropped her off after and went home to continue shaping up my various Shadow blurbs and articles.
The health insurance agent came about 4:00 and we sat down to go over this burdensome topic.  Will I pay more?  Ha!  The real bottom line is, will I pay two thousand a year more or eight hundred a year more and take my chances on the higher co-pays?
What gets to me is, I have Medicare, into which I paid for years, and I'm reasonably comfortable financially, so it isn't as if I'm on the dole or something.  I can pay the higher premium and/or co-pays, if necessary.  I'm aware, though, that others will be mowed down by this highway robbery.
This situation, to reduce by any means necessary those in the former middle class to peonage, is no accident. Since the seventies, the corporations and their political whores of both parties have worked diligently to bring this about.  They're aided and abetted by their media handmaidens, who cheer them on.  They're cosseted by the religious, who wring their hands over the plight of the poor, and distribute food, but would never dream of denouncing in any concrete way, the system itself.  And, of course, there's always that unimaginably vast and malignant entity, the military, swallowing the blood and riches of a citizenry who will thank them for their service and please, sir, kick me again.      
And most of the populace will docilely accept the programming of the sons-of-bitches who run this country and blame "welfare cheats" for it all instead of the sons-of-bitches who run this country.    

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

I wish I knew the answer, Mimi. The usual approaches seem to be either manning the existing machinery with better people, or making new laws requiring everyone to be better. Both have been tried extensively, and neither works.

Even lacking a solution, though, the first thing is to see the situation clearly for what it is ... and, for what it's worth, I think you're right on the money. As usual.

Mimi said...

What might work is doing what civilized countries do: extend health care to all its citizens. Maybe some of the trillions we shovel into the war machine would cover the cost? Oh, but what am I thinking, we seem never to choose helping our own over slaughtering others.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...